IUPUI has a rich history in experiential and applied learning. Through numerous experiential, applied, integrative, and engaged learning experiences in both credit-bearing and co-curricular settings, IUPUI students learn how to communicate information and complex ideas, develop innovative solutions to real-world problems, and embrace civic engagement and service in partnership with their local and global community. Examples of current experiences approved for the Record include Honors College students providing English or basic dental instruction in Costa Rica, business students working with Delta Faucet to develop a marketing plan, service scholars tutoring high school students, multiple internship experiences, and many others. These real world experiences are now documented and verified by the campus. The Record will provide students and potential employers with a much-needed verification of experiences and overall, assessed student learning while also providing students with a better tool to articulate their learning.
Experiential and Applied Learning Record (the Record)
IUPUI students are able to download documentation of these experiences across seven achievement categories (Global Engagement, Service, Leadership, Research, Diversity, Internships/Career Development, and Creative Expression). All of the approved experiences documented on a student’s Record have undergone a formal and rigorous assessment process to ensure their high impact fidelity.
Take a look at some sample Records to better understand how experiences are documented for students.
Please note: If you do not have a Record or your Record does not include all of your experiences, the experience(s) have not been submitted or approved. Speak with your program director or instructor and encourage them to submit the experience(s) for consideration.
Faculty/Program Director Information
Submit an experience
To submit a curricular or co-curricular experience for consideration, the instructor or program director needs to complete the application below and email to Tom Hahn, Chair, Experiential and Applied Learning Subcommittee.
- You only need to apply once! The experience stays with the faculty member, staff member, or program director for their employment at IUPUI.
- The application process is straightforward, but it differs for credit-bearing and co-curricular experiences.
- For credit-bearing experiences, faculty submit a brief 1 page application along with an attached syllabus.
- For co-curricular experiences, program directors submit a 4 page application.
- The PRAC Record subcommittee will conduct a review prior to approval
- The Institute for Engaged Learning will provide administrative support for entering large numbers of students into the Record after the faculty member or program director provides a list of students who have completed the experience. Please send this request to Tom Hahn at email@example.com following approval of your experience.
- The process for approval typically takes 2 weeks.